Experience Scottish culture through marketing, event management, food sourcing, menu planning and teamworking at the Adelante Hospitality Summer Program in Ayr, Scotland.
NEW FOR SUMMER 2013!
Adelante has developed an exclusive new summer Hospitality Management program in cooperation with Ayr College on the scenic west coast of Scotland. Students will learn to prepare, plan and implement an event and evaluate the process.
This 5 week course is available to students studying or with an interest in Hospitality or Event Management. Candidates will take the course Managing an Event, in which they will gain practical skills in the management of food and beverage operations from the faculty and staff at this award winning college.
This program also provides students with the product knowledge, characteristics and production methods of a variety of beverages and understanding of the brewing and distillery process. Budget planning and promotional strategies are also key components of the plan. This course includes lectures, presentations, discussion groups and study visits to food and beverage establishments throughout Ayr and Preswick. The course is over 100 hours of contact time and completion of the course should provide you with 6 hours of US credit (see your own college advisor for confirmation). Official college transcripts will be given on completion of the program.
Cultural activities during your program include visits to Stirling Castle, Loch Lomond, Glengoyne Distillery and Edinburgh. Local walking tours, visits to the Burns Heritage Center and other locations also are included. A member of the College staff will be on hand to provide support with coursework or to advise on further travel within Scotland and the UK.
Students have access to the college’s Flexible Learning Unit which is fully furnished with PCs. The guesthouse accommodation has wireless internet.
- Pre-departure orientation
- Airport pick-up
- Orientation in Scotland
- Housing (shared room with bathroom in Superior Guest Houses)
- Meals (daily breakfast, some other meals)
- Accredited college tuition for the course (approx 100 hours worth up to 6 US credits)
- Access to computers in the college’s Flexible Learning Unit
- Excursions and social events
- Welcome lunch
- Celebration lunch
- Sealed college transcripts on completion
- Adelante Abroad, LLC is not a “middle man” or “agent”. Rather, we create proprietary, customized programs for our individual, screened candidates. To do this we use long standing contacts in our respective countries of operation and negotiated rates for services provided abroad, including but not limited to airport pickup services, language coursework and university coursework services, excursion services, and housing services worldwide. What each candidate receives is exclusive to Adelante, only available through Adelante Abroad, LLC. More importantly, our staff of Advisors and Directors abroad are professionals in the international higher education and student exchange industry, used to working with foreign candidates and often times with complimentary professional careers in place as well as their service to Adelante Abroad. These are your contacts while in-country for most aspects of the program and all have both day and evening phone access.
This course is 90 - 100 hours of instruction and completion of the course should provide 6 hours of US credit at your home university or college. See your own college advisor for confirmation.
Managing an Event (Unit code: F35Y 35)
This Unit is designed to allow candidates the opportunity to manage an event either individually or in small groups. Candidates will prepare, plan and implement an event and evaluate the event process which could be hosted in an external venue.
On complete of the Unit the candidate should be able to:
- Prepare an event proposal
- Plan an event
- Manage the implementation of an event
- Evaluate the management of the event process
Recommended prior knowledge and skills: No prior knowledge of the subject area is required. However, it would be helpful if the candidate is working towards or has already studied classes relating to hospitality and the events industry.
Certification is awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority.
Monday FREE DAY
Tuesday Managing an Event
Food and Beverage Operations
Wednesday Food and Beverage Operations
Managing an Event
Thursday Managing an Event
Visit to Costley Store and Hospitality Locations in Prestwick
Friday Glasgow Tour – Hop On Hop Off