This is an exciting program in it's pilot phase. Programs will be set up on a group basis with a minimum of 5 candidates. 1, 2 or 3 month programs.
Nothing will prepare you for the exotic yet modern, ancient yet understandable culture and society you will become a part of while participating in your International Internship Program with us in Beijing.
Our front office staff and Director of Programs recently visited China, scouting the cities of Beijing, Shanghai, Ghangzou and Xian. So much has already changed - for example, most people & families have only been driving or had cars for the past 10 years or less! Yet change is still under way as you read this. It really feels like you are witnessing history in the making, and with this program you can do so outside of the typical tour bus or classroom setting.
To ensure optimum results for both the participating companies and you, the candidate, the program will take place for a minimum of 5 candidates at a time and programs can be 1, 2 or 3 months.
Beijing offers the most to our candidates in that there are over 8,000 foreign firms incorporated there plus it truly is the cultural heart of China. While Shangai captivates, Beijing is where we feel our candidate will gain the most: ability to perform in a variety of business / internship settings, a deeper, quicker access and ability to connect to the Chinese culture and language acquisition.
- Program lengths for this International Internship in Beijing experience range from 1 to 3 months.
- Receive academic credit, if desired – check with your University.
- You will be met at the airport when you arrive in Beijing, and taken directly to your apartment.
- Extensive city and cultural orientation on arrival by your Adelante Director who is a certified National Tour Guide in China. Your Adelante Director is a Chinese national and also speaks English fluently.
- 2 weeks of intensive Mandarin language classes are included in the fee.
- Lodging is included. Apartments are modern and near to the Chinese Business District (CBD) where most of the work assignments are. Live in your own room in a shared apartment with other Adelante candidates or international students, or elect to live with a Chinese national.
- Come with a friend and live together during your time in Beijing.
- Internships are for 4 hours each day in either a Chinese-owned company, with international staff, or an international corporation with offices in Beijing. Plan on acquiring real, international work experience to add to your resume.
- The participating companies we work with represent a wide variety of Sectors including Law, Hospitality, Tourism, Teaching English, International Trade, Social Work and more. See our Internship Sectors tab for a full list. We are also happy to approach a specific company and create a new Sector on your behalf as we launch this program in Beijing.
- Some excursions are included during your 2-week intensive Mandarin coursework. We also organize events each month, which you are welcome to participate in -- some have a small fee, others are free. This program is meant to be 50% work experience and 50% cultural / language acquisition and immersion. To that effect, we help cultivate the cultural side of the program for you by organizing these events. There are some unbelievably historic places to see in Beijing: think Forbidden City, the site of the Olympics, Tianemen Square, exploring many of the city’s secret gardens, the famous Hutong Alleys and more.
- English speaking Adelante Director on-site is available to you for support and assistance.
Unsure about interning in China? Read this article and get inspired!
China? I can't go to China! 7 Myths about studying in China
IT IS OUR GOAL TO HELP YOU EXPERIENCE ANOTHER CULTURE THROUGH OUR INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIP AND IMMERSION PROGRAMS. TO DATE WE HAVE PLACED 100% OF CANDIDATES IN INTERNSHIPS ABROAD. WE HAVE GOOD SUCCESS MATCHING CANDIDATES WITH THEIR DESIRED SECTORS, BASED ON THEIR SKILLS AND AVAILABILITY.
As in all ADELANTE International Internship Programs abroad, if you wish to intern in a sector you do not see listed here, we can usually accommodate you given an early enough application. We are growing this Beijing program aggressively, so the more sectors we can open, using YOUR application as the starter, the better.
Candidates will work for a large Chinese-owned, international law firm. This firm focuses on clients doing business in China - and Beijing - and on foreign affairs issues for Chinese corporations. Professional services provided by the firm include banking and finance, intellectual property and high tech, litigation and arbitration, resources and environment and more. Duties include the chance to observe in a Chinese courtroom, assisting with updating Chinese and foreign laws into corporate guidelines, and insertion into any ongoing legal project work depending on past skill set, length of program, time of year and other candidate details.
There are two options for candidates looking to gain Hotel industry experience in Beijing, easily one of the fastest growing tourist spots in the world. One is a large American chain with many hotels in Beijing and another is a smaller, regional Chinese-owned chain of hotels with our site in downtown, historic Beijing.
Teach English to Chinese adults in private language institute settings. All training and materials are provided. Small groups, conversation classes or language lab work available. Some candidates will have their own classes, others will assist, and others may run the language / computer lab of a successful school in Beijing.
Traditional import / export internship in one of the most dynamic hubs for this sector. Corporations accepting interns in this sector are within the Beauty, Spirits and Technology fields as well as others. Participating companies can be American or Chinese-owned. Most have both a factory - outside city limits - and offices within Beijing city (usually in the CBD area – Chinese Business District).
The Chinese version of Facebook is accepting international interns! Work for this fast paced internet corporation and see how differently things are run in social media in China – definitely an eye opener and a work experience that will give anyone interested in a career in social media a leg up in their field.
Qualified candidates will work as programmers in a worldwide corporation with offices in Beijing. Programmers, analysts and software developers needed.
Orphanages, “S.O.S Children’s Villages” in Beijing are houses with designated “moms” to take care of up to 7 orphans each. This organization was founded in several countries in 1949 after WW2; these orphanages are funded each year partially by government and partially by donations. These are rare sites for a culture that places a high emphasis on the family unit taking care of orphans. Whereas homes for street children and orphanages are a common entity in many countries, in China they are not.
In this category we also have limited spots for interns in an Autistic Children’s School, in a home / assisted living facility for third generation Chinese and in a chronic care facility, for those who need round the clock nursing.
Good opportunity for many majors, including Marketing, Communications and Events, Public Relations and Anthropology too! Busy settings in small, Chinese owned, rapidly growing tour firms or travel agencies. Candidates should expect plenty of work, not too much structure and a sense of “getting the job done no matter what it takes” in these fast paced settings.