So what do you know about Uruguay? If you are like most of us, not too much. Try researching it at a bookstore and there are no Guidebooks (only chapters in larger books on Latin America or Argentina and Brazil). Online you will find plenty of geography and weather and history but nothing to help you plan a trip there or really get an idea of what it is like to live there. Even changing money is impossible here, at least at LAX, where they exchange 65 currencies but not the Uruguayan peso!
Well, let Adelante put it to rest right now: Uruguay rocks. Period. This is the best kept secret in the world. It is safe, it is colonial, it is easy to walk and navigate, it is friendly beyond belief, it is safe, it has amenities that you would not expect (like vegetarian restaurants!), it is surrounded by beaches, you can get to Buenos Aires in 90 minutes by a Ferry, did we mention it was safe?
Montevideo does not feel like the major, capital city that it is: there are not many high rise buildings and there are trees, and just a million trees, everywhere. There is the "downtown " area defined by Calle 18 de Julio, then there is the "Ciudad Vieja", the older, smaller historic part of town nearer to the port, and "Pocitos" the trendy area with great night spots and restaurants, and some really beautiful suburban areas along the beach with huge houses Beverly Hills-style.
Unlike its corruption-laden neighbor, Argentina, Uruguay is a legitimate, stable and neutral country with a solid economy. If you commit a crime there, you will likely get caught and be punished for it. If the sign says, "No Parking", you had better not park there or you might get ticketed or towed. Unlike many areas of Latin America there are rules and the people generally follow those rules. There are a multitude of businesses and companies in all Sectors in Montevideo, most of them small to mid-sized and most locally owned, making it a perfect city for solid and varied internships.
This is what makes Adelante's program better and different:
- The amount of time you choose to intern is flexible, with program lengths ranging from 1 to 12 months, all begin the first Monday of the month, year round. Or take advantage of our mid-May start date.
- Program can be done for academic credit
- 3 weeks of intensive Spanish language classes are included in the fee
- Lodging is included. Live like an Uruguayan in your own room in a shared apartment with other Adelante candidates/international students or elect to live with an Uruguayan family (inquire for price difference for homestay option as this includes meals and laundry).
- Come with a friend and live together during your adventure in Uruguay.
- You will be met at the airport when you arrive in Montevideo, Uruguay, taken directly to your lodging (this is about a 20 minute drive)
- Internships are for 4 hours each day in a growing variety of locally owned businesses and corporations, from hectic Travel Agencies doing Interior Country Tours, to cutting edge Graphic Design companies to the ER at the cities main Hospital to working for a successful Accountant as his assistant. As mentioned earlier, this country is more serious than other South American countries in terms of reporting to yoru work assignment, what your duties will be, etc. You will gain real, international work experience to add to your resume.
- Our Director in Uruguay is a successful entrepreneur with good connections in most professional Sectors -- the participating companies represent the most varied we have to date in all of our programs besides Madrid and we have just launched so it will keep growing! Medical, Technology, Travel Agent, Hotels or "Estancias", Publicity, Graphic Design, Marketing, Teaching English, Accounting, Social Services, Fashion and more.
- Some great excursions are included during your intensive Spanish coursework -- think interior country tours, sailboat trips to nearby islands, "trekking" (a bit less effort than hiking), 3-hour driving tour of Montevideo, horse-back riding & cultural trips. (There may be some small additional fees such as museum entrance, drinks etc). We also organize other events each month, which you are welcome to participate in -- some have a small fee, others are free. This program is meant to be 50% work experience and 50% cultural / language acquisition and immersion. To that effect, we help cultivate the cultural side of the program for you by offering these events.
- The Adelante Director in Uruguay speaks English and he is a native of Montevideo -- he will be one of your most important resources.
IT IS OUR GOAL TO HELP YOU EXPERIENCE ANOTHER CULTURE THROUGH OUR INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIP AND IMMERSION PROGRAMS. TO DATE WE HAVE PLACED 100% OF CANDIDATES IN INTERNSHIPS ABROAD. WE HAVE GOOD SUCCESS MATCHING CANDIDATES WITH THEIR DESIRED SECTORS, BASED ON THEIR SKILLS AND AVAILABILITY. CANDIDATES THAT ARE BEGINNING SPEAKERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE BY APPLYING FOR TEACHING ENGLISH ASSIGNMENTS.
NOTE: If you want to intern in a Sector you don't see here, then with a minimum of 60 days advance notice we can make an effort to find a placement in your desired field.
ECOLOGY / ENVIRONMENTAL
Work in a Marine Turtle Institute in Uruguay. For animal science majors or anyone interested in ecology and marine life in South America.
OPTION 1: Available to start December, January or February
2 or 3 months only
Live with the Turtles in a designated “National Protected Area” in Uruguay, close to the border of Brazil. The area for this study is a rocky formation atop the Atlantic Ocean, surrounded by smaller sandy beaches. Duties include:
- Capturing and tagging young green turtles in coastal areas
- Documentation of turtle activity during nesting and hatching
- Analysis of dead or killed turtles for results and attempts at prevention
- Helping with guided tours at the Turtle Center / Sanctuary
- Assistance with rehabilitating injured, sick or lost turtles
First, candidates will participate in a 3 week Intensive Spanish Study Module, while living in Montevideo. After the course candidates then move to the work assignment site. Candidates will live on site in basic, shared accommodation. Three meals per day are provided plus all transportation within the protected park area to the various turtle centers.
OPTION 2: Available year round
Volunteer at a turtle research station in Montevideo. The research centre’s main objective at present is to observe and determine the approximate numbers and general habits of juvenile green turtles in the zone, and the volunteer’s role is to participate in the daily collection of data, following the guidance of the research co-ordinators. This might involve:
- Spotting and catching juvenile turtles in the centre
- Assisting the researchers conduct post mortem examinations on turtle remains
- Helping to care for the recovering and rescued turtles and their pools
- Guiding visitors around the research centre and explain its work
- Participating in talks and workshops with local people and tourists on turtle release days
- Keeping the research centre clean and tidy, and cooking for the researchers and other volunteers
- Representing the turtles project in public events like Carnival (early February) and the annual Save the Sea Turtle festival (late March)
Work in a government attorneys busy office, located in the city center of Montevideo. The office is a prestigious one and our candidate will be the only foreign intern there, with plenty to absorb and much to learn. Sectors include Maritime Law, Contract Law, Labor and Union Law, International Law. Candidates must have intermediate Spanish level or better and have taken their LSAT exams. 3 months or longer is the stated minimum for this placement. However, 2 month candidates may be accepted on a case by case basis.
PR AND PUBLICITY FIRM
Modern offices, young staff creating campaigns for various clients. Includes: Graphic Design, Marketing, Promotions, IT.
LANGUAGE INSTITUTE - TEACHING TO ADULTS
Teaching English - small family run school in a great neighborhood location. Dedicated staff and good international atmosphere.
TOURISM - TRAVEL AGENCY
Busy, downtown travel agency run by a woman who needs a fast paced helper - duties are everything from airport pickups to Tour Guide, to marketing, to trip planning to group plans.
TOURISM - HOSPITALITY
"Estancias" are bed and breakfast type facilities located in the countryside of Uruguay. Each one is unique and most are family run. They have a ranch or agriculture or nature feel to them. Interns here will see all aspects of Hotel / Agri-Tourism work, from food services to accommodations to concierge help to tour guide. Candidates will take the three weeks of Spanish classes in Montevideo, living there, then move to the Estancia and live on-site for the duration of their programs.
SPANISH EQUESTRIAN EXPERIENCE IN URUGUAY
Like the above "Estancias" work assignments, this one too is outside of the Capital city, Montevideo. Candidates will do the three weeks of Spanish classes in Montevideo, living there first, then follow up on the fourth Monday with a bus ride about 45 minutes up the coast to begin their internship. The work environment is on a ranch where horses are taken care of there by a "gaucho". This person will train the horses for endurance and prepare the foals. Candidates will work the ranch and the stables, helping to train the horses. Living here is in a studio apartment with your own bath, at the ranch.
Requirements: 3 months minimum . Experienced rider and a good basic knowledge of the Spanish language.
MANUFACTURING / COMMERCIAL RESALE / IRONWORKS
Iron works manufacturer of custom doors, windows, decorative railings for homes... anything made with or from. Industrial plant and manufacturer and also a retail, commercial outlet. They represent a German firm who imports to Uruguay outdoor and indoor intercom systems for homes and businesses. 8 - person office.
RETAIL - STORE / FASHION / SALES
High-end retail store. Main office is based out of Buenos Aires, with stores in Uruguay, Miami and Madrid. Clothes and accessories for women, current and newest styles. Past retail experience a plus.
GRAPHIC DESIGN - PRINTER
Printing company specializing in brochures, corrugated figures, product packaging, business cards, etc. Actual printing facility and front offices.
SPECIAL EVENTS / CONFERENCES AND GRAPHIC DESIGN / CREATIVE
Company that organizes Conferences / Fairs / Conventions. Creating booths and stands and all related PR materials for participating companies at Fairs or Conventions. Banner creations and graphic design. Set up and break down of large events.
MEDICAL SECTOR - HOSPITAL / AMBULANCE SERVICES / ER
Work under the auspices of one doctor within the public medicine sector, with opportunity to rotate between the Emergency Rooms of two hospitals and the Ambulance service. (For example, your schedule might be 3 days in one hospital, 2 days in another and the following week with the Ambulance service) Shifts are 12 - 24 hours so the hours for this internship will be different than most. Excellent opportunity for pre-med, nursing or ER.
ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE
Small accounting firm, with possible availability of legal department work also. For the accounting work, degree in related field required.
SOCIAL WORK AND VOLUNTEERING
- Hospital setting – community work in the OB/GYN sector; outreach to populations that might not feel comfortable coming to a hospital; pediatrics and family events to educate, serve and assist both psychologically as well as technically /medically
- Vocational Education Social Project – work with a group that focuses on vocational training, providing youth shelters, and creating school presentations to extremely poor areas around Montevideo…their goals is a career or job for everyone; be a part of a grass roots, local community setting of this growing Social Project.