Business oriented internships abroad are one of the surest ways to make your Resume stand out. Adelante has been placing candidates abroad for over 10 years. Our success over the years is proven and has helped many candidates live and learn about business abroad.
Based on candidate requests from the United States and other countries, we launched into Latin America, first Mexico and Costa Rica, then now, with huge success, into Chile and Uruguay. Again, we are providing good, solid real-life work and internship & culture programs for reasonable fees and pretty much all-inclusive (except for airfare, as always that is your responsibility).
We are using our years of experience sending internship candidates abroad to develop and continually enhance the same valuable and customized Internship program in Costa Rica. This includes amazing excursions and activities not available in any other country we operate in.
All applicants must conduct a pre-interview phone or Skype call to assess their Spanish level.
IMPORTANTE!: There are several differences in terms of things included -- please note these differences! For example: Most meals are included in the Costa Rica programs, and you have an Independent Living option not available in Spain.
- The amount of time you choose to intern is flexible, with program lengths ranging from 2 to 12 months
- 3 weeks of intensive Spanish language classes at a University are included in the fee. Transcripts available. 9 different levels of courses to ensure that even really advanced or very beginner candidates are taken care of
- Lodging and meals are included. (BEWARE other programs that seem to have lower prices but do not include housing or even worse, programs whereby you don't know where you are going to be living until after you arrive!)
- Independent Living Option: you live in Adelante-provided housing for month 1, and then you can choose to live on your own in an apartment. We will assist you with this process in-country. Inquire about price difference.
- Amazing excursions all included.
- Come with a friend and live together during your adventure in Costa Rica.
- You will be met at the airport or bus station when you arrive in San Jose, and taken directly to your lodging
- Program can be done for academic credit
- Internships are for 4 hours each day in locally owned companies or larger corporations with offices in San Jose. You will gain real, international work experience to add to your resume. As we are just launching this program in this country, our list of participating companies will be growing each month. Further, as San Jose is a large, cosmopolitan capital city, we urge you to send in you application for whichever Sector you are best qualified for or interested in, and using your application we will then find a relevant company or corporation.
- English speaking Adelante staff is available to you to support, assist and in many other ways to be there for you should you need it.
SOME OTHER HIGHLIGHTS:
- HOUSING INCLUDED - don't be fooled by other programs with lower prices that don't include the housing.
- Intern placement services and ongoing counseling for your work assignment in pre-selected area of interest.
- Screening of all companies.
- Customized service - we have experience at this and get to know each of our candidates.
- Easy 4-step program process, prior to departure.
- Testing, certificates, materials, texts and limited free Internet access.
- Airport pick up.
- Adelante Staff Local phone, fax and e-mail data will be provided prior to departure.
- 24 hour/7 days a week support while abroad.
- Orientation packet: includes tourist and city information, transportation and communications details -- including a map and explanation of buses, taxis and much more.
Some ideas of the kinds of excursions and activities available in our Costa Rica program... (Availability is based on various things, including weather, number of candidates who sign up, availability of transportation and more).
Manuel Antonio National Park
It's a National Park on the Central Pacific, and it's one of the most beautiful beaches found in this region of the country. The landscape is composed of white sands and warm waters surrounded by lush vegetation. You can see a variety of Flora and Fauna including white-faced monkeys, sloths, raccoons and many other species of rodents and birds.
Includes: Transportation, accommodations (in a hotel or cabin of your choice) and Breakfast
Arenal Volcano/ Hot Springs
One of the active volcanoes that can be found in Costa Rica. During the day you can see smoke emanating from the crater. With the dark of night you can see bright red eruptions of lava, which create relaxing hot springs.
Includes: Transportation, lunch, dinner, entrance to hot springs
Departure: 8:00 A.M.
Return: 11:00 P.M.
You can either go to Poas or San Lorenzo. This trip is done on ropes amongst the treetops. Appreciate first hand the great biodiversity that nature has to offer. The tours are done with very good equipment and visitors are secured with harnesses and security lines. Go between bridges and platforms 15 meters off the ground or higher, as high as 27 meters.
Includes: Transportation, lunch, entrance, guide
Departure: 7:00 A.M.
Return: 4:00 P.M.
Should you wish to participate in more activities and excursions than what is included in your program, you absolutely can! We make these and more available to you -- all are very worthwhile, guided by a trusted resource -- and the cost typically will be less than you would pay on your own.
IT IS OUR GOAL TO HELP YOU EXPERIENCE ANOTHER CULTURE THROUGH OUR INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIP AND IMMERSION PROGRAMS. TO DATE WE HAVE PLACED 100% OF CANDIDATES IN INTERNSHIPS ABROAD. WE HAVE GOOD SUCCESS MATCHING CANDIDATES WITH THEIR DESIRED SECTORS, BASED ON THEIR SKILLS AND AVAILABILITY.
All applicants must conduct a pre-interview phone or Skype call to assess their Spanish level.
NOTE: If you want to intern in a Sector you don't see here, then with a minimum of 60 days advance notice we can make an effort to find a placement in your desired field.
General Internship Requirements: High Intermediate level of Spanish unless otherwise stated.
INTERNSHIP/VOLUNTEER POSITIONS - 2 MONTHS MINIMUM
INTERNS WANTED: INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS / POLITICS
Political Science or International Relations candidates wanted! Two opportunities are available to see first hand how politics and diplomacy operate – or don’t – at an International level. Since this is working within a government entity in San Jose, this is usually pretty hard to find! Through our active Director of Programs in Costa Rica has been able to establish many great connections over the years. We have one position within the Legislative Assembly, working with some of the government implementation projects. We have another position more directly working at the Presidency of Costa Rica offices, working on specific presidency council projects. Each post will accept one foreign intern each. Jump at this once in a lifetime birds eye view at an operational level of politics in San Jose.
Requirements: Candidates should have a solid, high level of Spanish. Limited spots available.
Organize educational and alternative trips within Costa Rica, including sustainable communities. Lots of projects ongoing. Advanced Spanish required.
"VERAGUA RAINFOREST" NATURAL PARK RESERVE
Developing programs, collaborating on existing programs all dedicated to environmental conservation, assistance to visitors, getting to know the protected areas of Costa Rica. NOTE: housing is on-site within the premises not with a family in San Jose.
Long running firm offering amazing tours to mostly student and youth groups. Research possible destinations, assist with guiding, lots of weekend and other travel, admin, appointments and meetings. Excellent and busy work assignment for good multitasker in international setting.
INTERNSHIP/VOLUNTEER POSITIONS - 3 MONTHS MINIMUM
ADVERTISING / MARKETING
Assistance in graphic design agency or at a marketing firm with projects related to advertising campaigns. Focus on defining market and developing logos / labels / tag lines for client companies. Emphasis on creativity, advertising and design. Create national billboard campaigns for client companies. Must have experience with Adobe design software.
Contemporary architecture, design and sales. Assist in the development of actual projects, hands on experience with architecture design programs, AutoCadd, etc. Software knowledge is a plus.
Placements in different NGO´s or National Park System helping with investigation and environmental impact projects. Interns will be placed in projects according to their experience or field of study. Opportunities include Sustainable Development Projects, Marine Biology, Tropical Ecology, Species monitoring, Bioacoustics and others.
Small boutique hotel in a nice neighborhood of San Jose, near Universidad Veritas and other shopping and activities. House Style Bed and Breakfast, dining room and about 20 rooms.
Larger law firm, extremely busy, shadowing / working for a Lawyer or Consultant.
COMPANY PROFILE: Established in 1988 and conceived to provide clients with legal services, which are integrated on a basis of an interdisciplinary diversity. They offer the vast experience of their partners and associates, who are specialists in the following fields: Corporate and Business Law, Contract Law, Civil Law, Maritime and Aviation Law, International Business Transactions, Real Estate Operations, Foreign Investment, Intellectual Property and Trademark, Adoptions and Family Law, Arbitration and Dispute Resolution, Environmental Law, General Litigation, Criminal Law, Immigration, Tributary Law, Hotel Management and Tourism Law, Notaries Law and others.
Requirements: Strong Spanish. Strong law background – preferably a current law student.
MARKETING & SALES
Marketing, Digital Marketing, Social Media, Market Strategizing & Investigating and promotional activities for national companies in a variety of sectors, or for private university in Costa Rica.
NGO’s (non-profit organizations)
Work with various non-profits covering a wide selection of different sectors: a group dedicated to protecting the National Parks and protected areas in Costa Rica; an environmental conservation organization etc.
SOCIAL WORK / PSYCHOLOGY
Various non-governmental organizations helping homeless and other under-represented groups, an orphanage, a group educating street children and more.
TOURISM / TRAVEL COMPANY
Travel agencies and tour companies. Includes creation and sale of tour packages, guide work, packet preparation and airport pick-up, among many other duties that go into providing tours for small and large groups all around the country. Some very good travel included to Costa Rica’s tourist spots.
UNIVERSITY / EDUCATION
Work in busy study abroad office of a private, accredited, Tico and International student University. Assist with all placement processes, student admin work, transcripts, housing of international students and more.
Vet Clinic in San Jose that cares for house pets, also has grooming facility.
WORKING WITH UNDERPRIVILEGED CHILDREN
This non-profit was started to help street kids ages 2-10. Orphanage for the poorest of sectors. It is a house, with materials, curriculum, and day and afternoon programs. Opportunities include Social work with Children, Social work with Addicts (5 centers for drug addicts / rehab: this would be for psych or social work majors only and is fairly intense), Teaching English, Art, Cooking – the organization prepares 30,000 free meals per month.
Requirements: Strong intermediate Spanish. Sociology and Psychology background recommended. Previous work with kids an advantage.