1. Which city and country did you go to with Adelante Abroad?
Internship in Madrid, Spain
2. Would you go back to that country/region?
Yes! I love speaking Spanish, love the diversity of the country, love to flamenco dance…there are many things that I love about Spain!! After my internship with Adelante I returned to Spain three more times!
3. Would you participate in another program with Adelante Abroad?
Not at this time, as I am at a different point in my life and career. But I would recommend it whole-heartedly.
4. Have you travelled more since your time abroad with Adelante? If so, where, when, what did you do?
Yes. I worked in France (and traveled all around Europe while I lived there for a year), studied Spanish in Barcelona for a month, and traveled for work in Russia, Eastern Europe, Thailand, Philippines, and Brazil. Then I went to Cuba to study abroad during my Master’s studies. For a business development consultancy and for my Master’s thesis I spent significant time in Turkey. I have also traveled to the Mediterranean, Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Argentina, Uruguay, Israel, and Jordan for vacation.
5. Did you find that your international experience helped you to get a job? Did you keep up your Spanish / Mandarin language learned on your Adelante Abroad program?
6. What are you doing now? Studies ongoing? Job? Living situation?
I am the Director of Operations and Finance at an educational non-profit that is seeking to create the next generation of women’s leaders. We teach girls K through High School leadership skills through developing emotional and social intelligence. I graduated from NYU nearly two years ago with a Master’s in Global Affairs and Women’s Development. I’m living with my boyfriend in San Francsico. In my spare time I still flamenco dance and perform in the community – continuing my love for flamenco that I studied in Madrid!
7. Tips or Advice you have for someone thinking about doing an international internship or study abroad program?
JUST DO IT!
Not only do you learn about a new culture, way of life, and perspective, but you also learn so much about yourself that will surely stay with you for the rest of your life.