Gap Year Abroad
Welcome Gap Year Students & Parents
Glad you made it to this page. Per the American Gap Association: “A Gap Year is a structured period of time when students take a break from formal education to increase self-awareness, challenge comfort zones, and experiment with possible careers. Typically these are achieved by a combination of traveling, volunteering, interning, or working. A gap year experience can last from two months up to two years and is taken between high school graduation and the Junior year of their higher degree.”
Then, know that here is how our Gap Year candidates differ from our older candidates:
- Gap Year candidates are recent high school graduates who usually require more support before and during their internship placement
- Adelante offers the parents of Gap Year candidates pre- departure guidance as needed
- Gap Year candidates receive additional support during the first few weeks of their internship abroad to help them adjust
- Gap Year candidates usually live with host families rather than in independent apartments. Read more in our FAQ
- Gap Year candidates often have a unique set of needs and concerns, which Adelante is happy to address
For the most part, we treat our gap candidates just like everyone else and, by design, there is no separate category for a “gap year program” here at Adelante Abroad. So, simply choose a program from the Intern Abroad, or Study Abroad or Summer Programs tabs above to see “Program Overview”, “What’s included” in each, and “Reviews” as well.
To cover the additional counselling, pre-departure, and the extra meetings with our staff once abroad, Adelante Abroad has come up with an extra fee or surcharge for our gap year candidates that we think is fair: $350USD on top of the published program pricing. This holds regardless of the length of program or the city chosen. The concept of continuing to mainstream our gap candidates into our long standing successful Intern Abroad programs holds firm, and at the same time we do recognize that some extras are needed.
If you have gotten this far, if means that you have an exceptional son or daughter. They were probably the ones who completed most of the international programs research and honed in on us, or, after meeting with a gap year counselor or advisor, were introduced to Adelante Abroad. We are here to tell you that NOT EVERY STUDENT IS A MATCH WITH OUR PROGRAMS, and that is ok. For this program, you child has to be independent, furiously curious, impatient with the status quo, smarter than average. If this description fits, we welcome you to apply!