(former Adelante intern Lucy T. holding retractors during an actual surgery in Madrid!)
A medical internship abroad can provide huge benefits, here are 5 reasons you should seriously consider doing one:
1. Get hands-on experience you simply CAN’T get in North America – Medical standards and practices are different (well, more lenient, for lack of a better word) in Europe and Latin America in comparison to North America. So who stands to benefit from that the most? YOU. You’ll be exposed to so many different things/getting hands-on experience in ways that would be impossible in any kind of medical internship in the U.S. or Canada. By comparison, in order to be a medical intern in North America, you need to complete medical school and already have a medical degree. Which brings us to our next point:
2. Boost your CV and Resume – If you’re still an undergrad looking to apply for medical school, think about how far ahead of the curve you’d be after completing an international medical internship! You’ll have real, working experience in the hospital, doctors office, operating room, you name it! Just by putting that kind of experience on your CV or resume, you’re guaranteed to stand head-and-shoulders above nearly all other applicants. It’s also an ace in your pocket when your interviewing for medical school.
3. Learn, become more fluent in another language – There is a huge need for medical practitioners to be fluent in another language in order to best serve certain populations. Spanish speakers in particular are needed in states like California, Texas, Florida, and Arizona. Becoming fluent just makes you that much more marketable when you’re ready to enter the workforce.
4. Gain meaningful experience in a specialty you’re interested in – There are plenty of internships you can do across a wide range of fields; that way, you can make the most of your experience. We’ve placed individuals in nursing, EMT, paramedic, pharmacy, occupational therapy, and physical therapy internships. In addition, we’ve set up interns with placements where they can shadow surgeons of different specialties.
5. See the world! – If you could travel and see the world while remaining career oriented and working toward your future goals, wouldn’t you do it? Our programs provide a great opportunity to accomplish all of these things!
(photos courtesy of Luciaenmadrid.tumblr.com)
Click here for information on our medical internship abroad programs by destination: Medical in Madrid, Spain, Medical in Seville, Spain, Medical in Marbella, Spain, Medical in Valparaiso, Chile, Medical in Oaxaca, Mexico, Medical in Montevideo, Uruguay.